Tuesday 5 November 2013

An Unprecedented Encounter Yesterday...

I was at a local petrol station having my car washed yesterday when a well dressed woman in her early forties approached me.

She asked if I was English or Afrikaans speaking, and then proceeded to ask if she could tell me something. Suspecting she was in some sort of trouble and was relying on the charity of others I hesitantly said, 'OK.'

What she said took me totally by surprise.

No, she did not need money, food or clothing.

She proceeded to tell me that her twelve year old son was diagnosed with diabetes last year, and was in such bad shape the doctors suggested he may need a pancreas transplant. But, she and her family, had prayed to God every day for her son's recovery, multiple times a day and miraculously he was healed. She continued by saying "God is alive and sitting on the throne, and people must not stop praying. If they feel despondent that others' prayers are being answered and not their own they must carry on praying because God hears everyone's prayers."

She then turned her attention to me in my personal capacity (obviously I must have looked rather miserable at the time) because she told me that God loves me, and I must pray to him regularly to tell him my troubles.


**DISCLAIMER**
Now, I know religion is a very sensitive and controversial topic but allow me to state categorically that in writing this post I am by no means out to offend Christians.

Each person is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions, and granted my beliefs don't reflect those of the next person. I do not judge others (whether Christian or otherwise) or their views, so please offer me the same courtesy.

I am not a religious person.
I believe there is a higher power, but it's not necessarily what's written in the Bible. Call me a spiritualist if you like.

As long as a person is kind, loves and is loved, gives to the less fortunate and generally conducts themselves in a manner that they would be proud of if they had to watch a video of their life, then you are a good person. In my book.

Some people are real menaces to society (beat the wife, kick the dog, drink away the kids' school fees) and they hide under the Christian blanket, and assume they are decent people solely because they attend a 45 minute service each Sunday?

No.

That is not OK, and I doubt God would think so either.

Again, I'm not judging or even generalizing as why should a few bad apples (excuse the pun) be the reason for casting shame on the genuine majority.

My issue with yesterday's encounter was not this stranger's beliefs, but rather the fact that she imparted her beliefs and views onto me.

Please, everyone has different views - don't subject another person to them unless engaged in debate. It isn't fair, and may result in a rude or abrupt response from the other party.

Life is simple. We humans complicate it.

So let's try uncomplicate it by steering clear of these potential arguments and live each day as though there's no tomorrow.


1 comment: