Friday 13 December 2013

I NEED help

These are difficult words for me to say, but the time has come and I am forced to say them.

I do not abuse drugs or alcohol, nor am I depressed.

My problem is of an academic nature, and I need help.

I have failed the last remaining subject of my Bachelors degree for the umpteenth time and I am desperate. This one subject is holding me back from progressing to my postgraduate degree, and after failing so many times, my self confidence has taken a huge knock. I do not believe I am a stupid person, and I work hard so therefore my problem must be that I don't understand the fundamentals of this subject.

I have received numerous (generous) offers of help, from colleagues, lecturers and friends whom I have all turned down.

Why, you ask?

Simple. I am too proud. I would rather push through on my own than accept an offer of help. This is one of my major flaws and has been for a long time. An instance I remember well is one day I was swimming in the sea, and misjudged the current. It was strong, and began pulling me out. Despite being a fairly strong swimmer I was in trouble. A lifeguard noticed me battling, and swam out with his can to rescue me. When he approached me I said I was fine and did not need his help. I was embarrassed but felt the situation would have been even worse had he brought me ashore. He continued swimming out but kept me in sight. Determined to prove that I didn't his help, my strength was renewed and after much effort I managed to get back to safety.

Now, like that day at the beach, I have been pulled further and further from graduation and now is the time I accept the proverbial lifeguard's help. People must think I enjoy failing because I do it so often.

Thank you to everybody that has supported me throughout, and to those that have offered their assistance. I WILL be taking you up on your offers in the near future.

Pride sufficiently swallowed.


No comments:

Post a Comment