Saturday 21 June 2014

Review: The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

My longtime friend and former colleague, Matthew, recommended I read this book. Knowing Matthew does not read fiction very often, and judging by his positive feedback on this novel, I realized it was a must read and downloaded it onto my Kindle.

The story line centers around Harry August, a boy born in a train station restroom on New Year's Day 1919. Harry is an ouroboran or kalachakra, a person that is born, lives, dies and so the cycle repeats. His birth date remains the same, but the manner of his death (and the date thereof) differ as a result of his choices in that specific life. Harry is also a mnemonic, which means he remembers everything from his previous lives, even the tiny and insignificant details.

I don't want to give the plot away, but Harry soon becomes embroiled in a plan to delay the end of the world.

This book is an absolute thriller, and will hook you within a few pages. I've never had to use the Oxford dictionary function on my Kindle as much as what I did for this book. It is intellectual and opens up the mind to a whole different school of logic. If you are looking for some insightful theories into the universe, then this is definitely for you. Maybe I found it more fascinating because the idea of reincarnation is so exciting.

Tiny disclaimer: The book does not discredit Christianity, but some religious people may be offended by some of the author's views and remarks.

If you read (or have read) the book, please share your thoughts on it. I would love to receive your feedback.




2 comments:

  1. You need to read Cloud Atlas it's a toughie but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, I have just downloaded it onto my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete