Thursday 13 March 2014

Time Management - A Skill I need to Develop

Having re-entered the workforce last week, and therefore not being able to keep my own hours, I have been forced to budget my time. 

Balance and moderation is everything.

I need to factor in all my time drivers such as gym, walking, preparing for my Saturday morning lectures, social events, blogging and everything in between. Last week (the first week) was an abomination. I actually felt like I was in a washing machine. The world continuing around me, but I didn't know which way was up. I was disorganized and unprepared for the major change that had just taken place. Disorganized. Unprepared. Two words not normally used to describe my character. As much as I hated it, I needed that wake up call to kick start my survival mode and figure out a plan of action.

I normally reply to any sort of communication immediately, but being new and under the watchful eye of my manager and colleagues, my phone remained securely in my handbag. Previously I was ever present on social media, constantly refreshing my news feeds on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I felt compelled to stay up to date with every event happening in people's lives - from close friends to acquaintances, I had to know everything. Now I sneak in a few minutes on the above mentioned platforms (waiting for the kettle to boil or while dinner is in the microwave). Strangely enough, I don't miss it. Missing out on some status updates is of no consequence or effect in my life. Quite a powerful realization that was.

Many people all over the world juggle their time every day, some are even married and have children. Granted I don't have children so I skip the homework and extra mural taxi service gauntlets, but I still have to prepare dinner and make lunches for both William and I. Yes we have a domestic worker three days per week so cleaning the house isn't on my checklist, but I do still want to keep it tidy. Making the bed, packing the dishwasher, sorting laundry and the dreaded grocery shopping all take time out of my day. These items must be included.

My working hours are 7 - 3:30 Monday to Thursday, and I attend lectures every Saturday from 8am -  3pm. We are given homework to complete before the next lecture. I have worked and studied before, and somehow managed to get everything done then so this time will be no different. If I set aside one hour per day, four days per week I can complete the homework and will be in a better position come exam time in May. From June onward I have no intention of studying until January when I register for Honors. The break will do me good, I can regroup and enjoy not having to study -  the first time in 8 years.

In addition to all of the above, I want to see my friends, go to movies, catch up with my mom (yes, we live a few steps away from each other but still), and generally have fun. I realize I will have to choose between walking and the calisthenics class I attend for an hour Monday to Thursday. As walking has yielded the best results in terms of losing weight and fitness (a story for another post), it seems to be the most logical choice. I can always attend a class if the weather is unfavorable for walking, and other days when I can squeeze it in.

This week has gone a lot smoother as I am finding my groove (or keeping the balls airborne) and although I don't have a set timetable it may not be a bad idea to create one (this is a typical Virgo trait so please don't laugh).

Have a fantastic weekend all.



No comments:

Post a Comment