Thursday 1 May 2014

I Confess

I have a confession to make. A few, actually.

1. I am a comfort eater. Yes, when the going gets tough I make a bee line for the cupboard. The sweet cupboard. Not being a fan of crisps, my poison is biscuits and chocolate. Once the packaging is open there is no telling where I might stop, if I even do before reaching the bottom of the packet, or the last rows of the slab. I function almost on auto pilot, and automatically my hand keeps reaching for more in an almost robotic fashion. My mind is blank during these times, my only concern is the next mouthful of whatever it is that will make me feel better. The operative word being 'feel'.  Realistically there is no way a box of Oreos or a slab of Cadbury's will change the cause of my comfort eating, nor do I expect it to, but in that instant I feel the weight lift off my shoulders. I am able to forget about my troubles and focus on something good. It is probably equivalent to smoking or drinking for other people. If only chomping on a carrot or slice of cucumber yielded the same result in terms of satisfaction, my waistline would be eternally grateful.

2. I hate being called 'Sim'. Something about this nickname just makes me want to climb the walls. Be it the connection to a cell phone Sim card, or the hugely popular PC game 'The Sims', or even an abbreviation for 'simulation' (recall the movie Simone which was a conjunction of 'simulation one'). I'd prefer people rather call me by my full name instead of Sim. Having said that I can probably expect everyone to call me Sim simply because I've admitted it irritates me, and that's OK. No offence intended toward those that have called me this in the past, you were not aware and therefore I bare you no ill well. Do it again now though, and we're going to have to talk. Just playing!

3. I am a huge germ phobe. I clean my phone and laptop with alcohol swabs on a regular basis. This is largely unfair of me and I accept that, but I don't like people touching the items mentioned above, and yes I will wipe them down afterwards. I almost cringe when one of the IT people at work need to carry out some task on my laptop. Being two of a person's most essential tools, I see it as an invasion of my privacy. Overkill? Yes. Am I being unreasonable? Most definitely. 

Confessions are supposed to relieve the burdens we carry around, and even if no-one reads/hears them, the act of admitting those home truths is enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment